Hyannis is the largest of the seven villages that make up Barnstable. It is a popular destination among tourists and locals alike for its beautiful beaches, outdoor activities, shopping centers, and delicious seafood restaurants. The village is also famous for being the home of the John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum and the Hyannis Harbor, where ferries depart to nearby islands such as Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
History of Hyannis
During the 18th century, Hyannis became a popular location for shipmasters to settle, thanks to its central location and easy access to the harbor. Later, in the 1950s, Hyannis became a hub of activity when John F. Kennedy and his family began visiting their summer home in the area. This led to the village becoming a popular destination for tourists and a hotbed of political activity during the Kennedy presidency. Today, Hyannis remains a historic landmark with its many museums and memorials dedicated to the Kennedy legacy.
Things to Do in Hyannis
There's plenty to do in Hyannis, one of the most sought-after destinations in Cape Cod. Here are some of the top activities:
- Visit the John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum.
- Take a boat tour of Hyannis Harbor and see the Kennedy Compound.
- Spend a day at Kalmus Beach, soaking up the sunshine, or try wind surfing.
- Shop at the Cape Cod Mall or try the many shops along Main Street.
- Visit the Cape Cod Maritime Museum.
- Taste fresh seafood at one of the many waterfront restaurants in Hyannis.
- See live music or catch a play at the Cape Cod Melody Tent.
Learn More About Hyannis with Demakis Family Real Estate!
If you’re looking to become one of the town’s newest homeowners, contact Demakis Family Real Estate’s nearby Mattapoisett office for more information. You can also create an account to save your searches and receive updates when homes you may be interested in hit the market!